Sunday, August 11, 2013

Domestic log (2013-08-11)

We've finished watching Bleak House and, staying with the Gillian Anderson theme, continued with The Fall, a modern police drama set in Belfast and which ends abruptly letting suspects that there will be a second season. Now we've started watching The White Queen (actually we're almost done, since there's only two episodes left), an epoch drama about three women who played a key role in the war of the roses, which suits more our taste (although I've also started watching on my own another british modern police drama called Broadchurch -- I can't help it as it has two Doctor Who actors in it: Arthur Darvill [ who played Rory, one of the Eleventh Doctor's companions, as well as Henry Stafford, Duke of Buckingham, in The White Queen ] and David Tennant [ the tenth Doctor himself! ]).

July 23rd was my eldest sister's birthday. She was killed in a freak accident in Paris exactly thirty years ago and would have been fifty-nine years old... That week-end, I didn't write as much as I wanted, but the weather was so nice. My wife and I walked in the park, witnessing a beautiful rainbow and a superb sunset. Of course, as soon as the week started, it was raining again. But at least the temperature and humidity were still bearable. I wish all summer could be like this week-end. Alas, it cannot be.


The following week-end there was a gathering of some of the old gang of the university's dormitory. A trip down memory lane. Some people I hadn't seen for nearly twenty-five years! Thinking of this good 'ol time make me feel like quoting A Tale of Two Cities' opening paragraph from Dickens: “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way...” It was great and I hope we'll have such gathering again (maybe in another five or ten years?).

The following week was busy. First, I had an exam to qualify for a new, better paid job. I didn't get the job (not even called for an interview), but at least now I am qualified (I passed the exam) so I might be able to get the next similar opportunity [ update 8/12: actually I was called today for an interview next week, so I might still get the job, although the competition is fierce and therefore my chances are slim ]. Second, I went to screen a movie at Fantasia -- the first time in many years. I don't have time anymore to queue to watch every Japanese movies like I used to do, and I also feel that I don't fit with that kind of young, over energetic crowd anymore. At least I watched one movie and reviewed two (Thermae Romae and Library Wars)!

Over all, I didn't write as much as I wanted in the second half of July. Beside the above-mentioned Fantasia reviews, I wrote three more reviews. One for Milo Manara's erotic comic The Golden Ass (in french), one for a manga by Osamu Tezuka, The Castle of Dawn (in french; my first review here on his work; there will be much more to come, that I can promise) and one of last year Montreal film Festival, The Floating Castle (I still have a dozen those reviews in the works, without counting those of THIS year festival). There are so many titles I would like to share impression (mostly movies and manga), but I simply just don't have enough time. I'll do them one at a time, but the problem is that I add more titles, faster that I can review them! I'll just do my best.

On the first week-end of August, there was a party for one of my friends' fortieth anniversary. Unfortunately, I had a rough day at the library (minimal staff, someone calling sick, working alone on the entire floor, lot of stuff to do, unruly kids and someone coming in with bags of returns one minute before closing) and completely forgot about the party. I admit that I was quite tired (that night I sleep for twelve hours!) but, isn't forgetting important stuff the first sign of Alzheimer? Anyway, later in the week, I was still quite tired and busy so I skipped the Montreal World Film Festival press conference to announce this year's programming. It doesn't matter since everything was in the press release, so I didn't really miss anything. About nine Japanese movies this year and THOSE I'm planning to see them all.

This week-end, I am planning to rest and try catching up a little on my writing. Stay tuned!

[ Traduire ]

No comments: