Thursday, September 25, 2014

A September fortnight in review

On the domestic front, life was dominated by health problems. With the second week of September, I started feeling discomfort and then pain, but kept going to work because I finally was given some responsibilities and didn't want to shirk from them. It was obviously a mistake. Thursday (Sept. 11th of all days!) I skipped work to go to the clinic but they didn't do much to relieve the pain. The next day it had increased so much that I couldn't bear it, so I decided to go to the emergency. I ended up spending a few days at the hospital, getting a surgery and having to take a three-week sick leave to recover.

I thought it would be a great opportunity to catch up on my readings and writings, but (so far) I was rather wrong (I couldn't write a single new book or movie comment, beside finishing two that were already in the works: Judas and the FFM Japanese shorts). First, I felt quite tired (the anaesthetic and all the medications they pump into you can really mess up your system) and the various post-up care (like daily visits to the clinic) kept me rather busy. It's rather disappointing but, hey!, health must come first.

Another disappointment was that the pain made me miss the ordering window for the new iPhone 6 so instead of getting it on launch day I had to wait for a few extra weeks. At first, I was told that I would get it only in early October, but it seems I might get it at the end of the week instead. Great! It will give me something to keep my mind busy (since I cannot really do work around the house, still have a little trouble sitting at the computer and seems to have difficulties concentrating). Just resting can be quite boring after a few weeks.

September has brought us unseasonably cold temperatures (around 10 to 16 'C) so there cannot be any doubt that the summer is at its end (well, technically yes, but still… early fall is usually warmer than that!). However, it is suppose to warm up a little soon. And my calendar reminds me that I still have 764 weeks before retirement…

In the news there was lots of talk about the latest Apple products, the Scottish independence referendum and the World trying to come up with a response to the Islamic State treats. I had plenty of time to read and gather links to many interesting news stories which I am sharing with you after the jump…


Anime & Manga related, Japan, Popular Culture
Apple, apps and mobile devices news
Apple: iOS8
Apple: iPhone 6
Books, Digital Edition & Libraries Economy, Environment & Foreign Politics Health, home & garden Humour
iPhoneography Local news Media, Culture, Entertainment & Society Movie Festivals Sciences & History Technology, Gadgets & Internet Union stuff & Montreal's libraries / Régimes de retraite

[ Traduire ]

No comments: