Sunday, December 21, 2014

Merry potter

Two weeks ago I went to a small winter bazar (15 th Annual JCCCM Holiday Craft and Food Sale) organized annually by the Japanese Canadian Cultural Center of Montreal (JCCCM) for the sole purpose to see a pottery craftsman. I met him at last year's bazar and bought a small piece from him. This year I wanted to go back to purchase more.

His name is Daniel De Lisle (Facebook, Google+, Picassa). According to Créateur d'Ici, “he is a ceramist since 2007 and lives in Quebec's pottery capital, St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, in the Montérégie”. He spent two years in Japan and that's where he developed his passion for Ceramics and pottery. “His clay work is inspired by Japanese tradition but also by abstract geometric shapes, a fusion of wabi-sabi and modernism, which demonstrates his ambivalence between West and East. His works are exhibited in Japan, Hungary, France and Canada, including the Japanese consulate in Montreal“. His production includes mostly tea bowls and “japonaiserie” [japonism].

I like his work a lot (that's why I wanted to share it with you). Here are the three pieces I own (in the center: the one I purchase last year and, on each side, the two I bought this year):

Pottery
(in the background you can see a part of my metal cups collection)

[ Traduire ]

No comments: