Friday, December 31, 2010

Waltz at arms

It was a cold winter night and I was quietly watching TV, relaxing through the out-of-body experience provided by a great action flick when I started to feel an attack of tinnitus. I turned the sound of explosions down to give a break to my poor hearing, but then I realized that it was not my ears that were ringing but a smoke detector somewhere in the house! I put the movie on pause and started investigating around the house, taking deep breaths to try to calm the sudden flow of adrenaline racing through my body but also in an attempt to smell if there was any smoke in the air.

After checking the first floor, moving quickly from room to room, like if I was dancing, I finally got to the basement. I first checked the carbon monoxyde detector which was showing all green lights. By then I could pin-point the source of the noise. It was the smoke detector near the bedroom, at the end of the corridor, which was making a strange wimpy sound, at a lower pitch than it should normally do. I guessed that the battery simply needed replacement.

It is incredible how each day can be filled with excitement! I changed the battery, checked the other smoke detectors and went back to the action flick...

No comments: