Sunday, August 21, 2016

Weekly notable news (week 34)

This last week was rather quiet and a good part of the notable news & links that I found interesting were related to the Montreal World Film Festival which is coming very soon. I've spent a lot of my spare time lately finishing my coverage from last year's festival and preparing to cover its upcoming 40th anniversary edition.

Lots of people are bitching about the festival. Those people want a glamorous festival like Cannes or Toronto, but they really don't understand the nature of the Montreal's festival. I am not saying that the MWFF is without flaws (there are aplenty) but I am quite satisfied with what we have here: a quiet, fan-oriented festival that showcase film as an art-form and a vehicle of culture for film-makers from any country, of any age and of various skill levels. Toronto is a commercial festival. I don't want to see stars that I can see everyday on TV or movies that will be released in theatres two weeks later. I want to see great stories and beautiful movies that I cannot see anywhere else but the MWFF. And there is plenty of stars there too: actors and directors from Japan, Portugal, Iran, Turkey, to name just a few places, and from all over Europe. That's good enough for me. I just want to enjoy myself, to be amazed and I really don't care about the politics of it all. I can't understand why our various level of government want to punish movie fans and not support such a great festival.


[ Traduire ]

No comments: