Saturday, November 07, 2009

Life at the bottom sucks

Today I had a particularly tiring day at the library as we were rushing more than usual (is there something like a library all-day rush hour?). It is not always fun to be a library grunt with grumpy coworkers and unhappy customers. I felt more than ever like the ball in a pinball game rebounding on every sides of the counter and not scoring any points. I also spent all my free time (lunch, break) working on the research and layout for one of the other projects I am doing. This was the second day of a seven days stretch without any days off (hey, a guy need to pay the rent; I just hope I won't exhaust myself too much and get vulnerable to the flu).

On top of that I came back home to yet another water damage incident. The washing machine on the third floor overflowed. Again. If I was the landlord I would ban washing machine on the second and third floors. Is it that complicated a machine to operate? The water came gushing two floor bellow through the light fixture hole in the stairwell leading to the basement and... into my research library (aka the guestroom). Luckily the book shelves were unarmed, but the videocassette storage was hit, wetting cassette recordings of precious anime series! No real damage though, it should all dry quickly (anyway I was considering reusing or giving away most of those tapes -- who use VHS tapes anymore?). However I am really tired of those baths, hotwater tanks, washing machines and whatnot breaking, leaking or overflowing on my stuff. It is not always fun to live on a first floor...

No comments: