Tuesday, December 03, 2013

The week in review (2013-12-03)

As usual, the last three weeks were rather busy. On the domestic front, first, I was able to write more actively (some entries were retro-blogged from my physical notebook): a rant about an ordering woe with Amazon, reflexions on Memorial Day and Doctor Who's success, a few comics or manga news and discoveries (untranslated shojo from the 70s-80s, Joséphine Impératrice and Showa: A history of Japan), as well as a few book comments (Bibliovores, Les Vacances de Jésus et Bouddha 2, Übel Blatt 1, and Cesare 1).

The weather grew increasingly cold (first getting consistently sub-zero temperature, then down to nearly -15° C) and snowy, giving us a real preview of winter. Now, we are already in december and there's a little snow on the ground. Although it is a little warmer (1° C) so it might not stay long. I got caught by surprise, so I didn't finish all the winter preparation I wanted to do in the garden. Maybe it will get warmer enough later to be able to do it. Who knows.

I went to visit an exposition at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts titled “Splendore a Venezia” and dedicated to art and music from the Renaissance to Baroque in Venice. I gave attention mostly to the art part (looking at the pieces and reading their descriptions). It was really nice but I didn't have enough of a few hours the see everything. So I intend to go back to pay attention this time to the musical part (and take the audio tour). I can go back as many time as I want since my wife and I took a VIP membership this year. I'll probably go back regularly to have a look on the permanent collection that I haven't seen in over fifteen years and also check out the “Comics at the Museum: 15 artists from La Pastèque reinterpret the collection” exposition. We've also visited a bazar at the Japanese-Canadian Cultural Center where I bought a small piece of Japanese-style pottery created by a local artist. Oh, and I also visited the Montreal book fair but there's so many stuff there that it's overwhelming.

Finally, it seems that I must always have a health problem of some sort: last week at work I slipped on a wet floor and hurt my back a little. Then aggravated it a few days later while carrying boxes. The pain has diminished and I can manage my tasks if I wear a lumbar support belt. But the pain is still annoying me. Hopefully it will pass with some more rest.

On the world stage, here's again nearly an hundred interesting links after the jump:


Anime & Manga related, Japan, Popular Culture
Apple, apps and mobile devices news
Books, Digital Edition & Libraries Economy, Environment & International/U.S. Politics Health, home & garden Local News & National Politics Media, Culture, & Society Special: Doctor Who 50th anniversary! Sciences & History Technology, Gadgets & Internet Union stuff & Montreal's libraries

[ Traduire ]

No comments: